Thursday, November 10, 2011

Miami Vice.

Crockett and Tubbs

To have it all...boy, just the thought...hold on, let me soak a little more on that statement....to have the life those could only dream of.  Man, that would be grand wouldn't it.  To be able to work on a few hours a day and just hang on the beach, while getting paid like a full day's work.  Or how about getting paid in your sleep?   That's that #WallStreet talk, I guess I did pay a few dollars to attention in MacroEconomics class.  I thought about that dynamic duo who made up one of the best tandems of all time.  Even better than Sonny and Cher, the Green Hornet and Kato...Miss Piggy and Kermit, these cats had it all.  All under the sparkling sun and stars of Miami.  

What a time to be living in the Miami, the middle 80s.  I have heard so many stories from folks who lived during the so-call down years.  People tell stories of the city that would have your skin crawl.  I been fortunate to hear from so many folk, lotta strangers too.  The legends are wild.  This one gent told me about how Miami Beach was rehashed on drug money,  Very possible...now back in the day this was the spot like in the 50s and 60s with The Rat Pack and Jackie Gleason holding court.  Shoot, the other day I was hearing an old episode of The Untouchables, discussing Miami Beach and stuff.  That's old school there!  Shout out to my Pops!  I was watching the DVD of one of my all-time favorite cartoons Hong Kong Phooey and they had an entire episode about Miami Beach!  That's cool to see the city via cartoon, even if it was in the 1970s.  Lots of stories though...I get tickled when I see old shows or movies and they show the skyline of Miami, even how it was in the early 90s.  It's funny because it doesn't look the same, heck it changes seemingly every week!! But one thing that I noticed, if you're not from here and look at the city from a camera above, especially during a sunny day, it has a special look to it.  A "haze" in the look, then through in the blue water, it's kinda crucial.

So why am I talking about the city.  I really don't know, but our diary sometimes has a mind of its own.  Miami in the 90s.  OMGoodness!!!  That's when the MIA really started to jump off from a national scene in which all the celebs, fashionistas, mobsters, hip hoppers start putting it on the map.  The city definitely benefited from Will Smith's city anthem.  But man I heard it was wild....Versace, Madonna, Prince's old club down here off of Washington.  People have a lot of great memories of the good old days.  From a music point of view, man...I got Gloria Estafan's Greatest hits and some of  her jams (with the Miami Sound Machine) still can bring a tear to my eye.  "Rhythm Is Gonna Get You", "Coming Out of the Dark" and my favorite, "Get on Your Feet", it's too much for me to talk about.  Just know good times man....then it's so surprising how many artists filmed there videos down here.  Its really wild when you play those old school jams, u really have to look close.  I'll still get to juking over this classic tune from Diddy, GG and (gulp!) Loon!!  Its more out there too...Ok, u think I'm joking Ne-Yo show them.  Here's a free one for fun, Pharrell I got u dude with u and Chad's playlist!...And I ain't even mention others i.e.- Bobby V, Rick Rosay (of course), Pitbull (Mr. 305), Trick (huh)..lot of artists from all genres.

I'm bout to get ready for this sack here. I don't know how I got to talking bout the city.  Maybe since the "high season" is upon us, it drew me in.  They say this is another country down here in the Magic City.  And it is.  You'll see it all from dudes on bikes with Air Conditioners in the hand, from people walking in the rain and wearing a Lay's Potato Chip bag to protect their hair.  I have some amazing stories to tell.  And I'm gonna tell them all.  Thinking about writing about the funniest things I've heard here in Miami.  Funny stuff and situations.  Welcome to our life...our world...our galaxia.

Buenas Noches.
Austino.

No comments:

Post a Comment