Friday, October 21, 2011

G3: The Best Game Ever!


I'm gonna take my time on this one, because this one is oh so personal.  Been doing this segment Galaxia's Greatest Games for some time and now the time has come.  So may wonder, Austin what is you favorite game of all-time?  Well, if I had to choose just one, it'll be....

How can I forget this night.  The year was 1993 which was my year by ALL accounts.  It was a Wednesday evening at the beginning of June.  I recall that it was very hot that night, and that summer because at the crib we had that fan in the window trying to get some extra air blown in. The stage was set for a classic as I think back to it.  I remember my Pops and me watching the game downstairs, with the lights off, as we did so many times.  It was like the fam had a theater environment going on, and it was really.  For the Chicago Bulls were about to take on the New York Knicks in Game 5 of their Eastern Conf. Finals series.  The series was tied 2-2 after MJ had 54 points in Game 4.  But tonight was going to be tough.  The Bullys were going into a crazed atmosphere in "The World's Most Famous Arena" of Madison Square Garden.  All the stars were there, u know Spike Lee was in the crowd.  Even one of my favorite style icons, JFK Jr. was in the house as well.  A special night in the NYC.

So why is this my favorite game of all-time?  The intensity of the crowd, the players participating, New York City, The Organist playing as "Dee-fense...Dee-fense!!" was echoing through the arena.  The game was so back and forth with action.  And you had it all.  Dunks...Coast-to-Coast plays...NBC was the network broadcast and "the camera" was in full bloom after each hoop and score it seemed (I think that camera they used was a precursor to HD cameras today.)...Jordan (It took 18 yrs to realize he had a triple-double in the game, that's how good the game was)..."Pa-Trick Ewing!"...Scottie Pippen...John Starks...This was the quintessential game of my generation.   Lives were changed literally, and destinies were defined by not only the game but one final play.  The Last Act so to speak in a drama which I haven't seen before or since.

This is my heart, and out of the decades of games that our family has on tape...nothing and I do mean nothing gets me as emotional and reminiscent as this classic.  Good times...And I can still remember jumping up and down, with my Pops clapping his hands yelling "Alright! Alright!".  I've been blessed so much...And on this night, all sports fans were treated to a classic!

Without further wait and delay...here's the defining game of Galaxia's Greatest Games.  Enjoy Below:

June 2nd, 1993, Game 5 ECF:  Chicago Bulls vs. New York Knicks

"Smith!....Smith!...Smith, Smith...Smith stopped!"
Austino.

No comments:

Post a Comment