Monday, June 27, 2011

Those Were Tha Days...


Today its all about "the good ol' days!" Been hearing that phrase a whole lot as of late,  maybe its because literally things ain't the same.  Folks just don't know how it used to be. People just sitting underneath trees at night just talking til moonlight! My father used to have my brother and myself clean off them lawn chairs with a bottle of Fantastik seemingly every rip.  Then them mosquitoes used to eat u up! That Avon repellent did not work trust us! It was wild.  Playing outside on bikes or shooting basketball at the parks.  Once knew a guy who brought his own net to the court to put on the basketball rims.  And then would take it home when he left!  That's like bringing ur own salt shaker in ur pocket to Morton's steakhouse.  Vintage stuff.  Ok, a few things before we get to rolling...today's blog is seriously interactive, meaning many words are highlighted or in a different color. That means they are linked to video or picture, click on the word because it'll make this more fun!  Also this is through our eyes, the 80s, 90s, and yes the 00s are game for discussion.  Hope u like.

Why don't they make Carefree gum anymore?  I remember back n tha day, tha fam would go to Kmart, and when I wasn't shooting balls into the huge plastic ball bin in the toy section, or thinking about that popcorn popping in the cafe near the registers, that gum was a highlight for the kiddo! Pixie Stix (the giant ones!), Now and Later's, Smarties, M&M mini's, Gummy Worms, Pez ( I got the Daffy Duck one!) , and Mentos (why does that make me think of this show?), these were a staple of all kids diets it seems! And Kool-Aid, and tell me u didn't know all the flavors.  Orange, Grape, Tropical Punch...then they got slick with pina colada type flavors.  A 10 for $10 deal at the store would put us in heaven with them packets.!  We all ate all this and  yet most of us were still active and in shape.  Amazing when u think bout it.



Life was so simple.  Kids used to play with giant bouncing balls on the sidewalk, tie shoe strings together, wrap them around your hands, and then play with their thumbs to make shapes with the strings. Play with small Muscle Men or Ghostbusters figures...just basic fun. Then what about all of us just dancing for fun!  Music blasting on that Sanyo Cassette Boom Box (Oh Snap! U got Auto-Reverse!!), girls double-dutching in daisy dukes to Total  , Brandy, and Soul For Real. U was good seemingly for life.  Still remember waking up on a Saturday in the Fall of '91 to see the video premiere Mike's "Remember The Time" on BET and MTV and VH1! It was classic stuff.  And I still remember the moves don't get it twisted!   And I'll hit u with that Janet Jackson "If" too!  Let them play that in LIV when I'm in there...The last video since then that I can remember to have that simultaneous premiere was like in 2002 when this classic video of Justin Timberlake's "Like I Love You" premiered.

What ever happened to Mr. Moon still playing the piano?  Is Max Headroom still alive?  Why isn't "Don't Disturb This Grove" by The System not being played on the radio anymore? Check out this performance! Man, I wish I was in LA back then like right yesterday!...Anyway, there are some serious random questions which we still haven't figured out over the years...like....Why doesn't Rally's/Checkers  NOT sell X-tra large fries anymore?They were so dope in that big red box of grease! Lol!...And was Penny's arm really hurt when she got burnt by that iron on Good Times?...Or why did Kimberly on Different Strokes wash her hair in acid rain?...Hey remember TNBC with Saved by the Bell, Hangtime, and my favorite show, California Dreams...those were the days, and here are more than a few of my tv favs from the years: (How many can u recall?)
- Ducktales
- Count Duckula
- Pro Stars
- Barney Miller
- Facts of Life
- Models Inc.
- Silver Spoons
- Alf
- Small Wonder
- Just the Ten of US
- Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers (Greatest Theme song perhaps ever!)
- Remote Control
- New York Undercover
- Punky Brewster
- Today's Special
- Singled Out (I thought dating was like the show...ooops!)
- Perfect Strangers
- Batman:  The Animated Series
- E! Network's Mysteries and Scandals
- MTV Diary
- BET's Hits from the Street and Cita's World
- Making The Band
- MTV Rock 'n' Jock Series (Dan Cortese...wow that's old school! and where's MTV VJ and my "former" future wifey Idalis at?

I'm part of the cool generation for real.  And if u experienced these things u are too.  Old school Nokia cell phones were the hot item in school.  Seems like the guys and girls were even like cooler back then.  Man, I had and still have a small crush on Carmen Sandiego!  I have a little thing for gumshoes, I'm Sorry.  But even those video and computer games were educational and fun.  Oregon Trail, Jeopardy, you learned a whole lot from those floppy discs. Paperboy  on the NES (Nintendo) even taught you about responsibility and how not to break ur neighbors' windows!.  Lord knows we need to know that.  Heck, now 3yr olds are walking around talking on the same Whiteberry phone I have...its crazy.

Next time music and sports of the old days will be the topic post.  They really they go hand in hand...literally...Remember Madonna and Dennis Rodman?! Evita and The Worm...Wow! If you don't recall them dating... or don't know who they are (Blasphemous if you don't!)...could the editor cue up a pic please!
Life's about having fun.  That's what we are all about...fin!
Hope u enjoy this walk down memory lane!
2 fingers Peace in tha Middle East!
Til next time.
Austin.

1 comment:

  1. I got a couple of things for you. You must have forgotten about "Hangin' With Mr. Cooper" and those 8 foot rims. Rmember when adjustable rims were the hottest things on the block. I know I had some highlight reel dunks for the ages. Speaking of Kool-aid, they got real slick when they developed the invisible flavors. What flavor is this? Gotcha. Speaking of boom boxes you can't forget the tape singles in the wrapped cardboard case. It was the best it came with remixes and usually a accapella for the R&B. Oh and the last premiere I remember was one I watched with you and that was Mike with "You Rock My World" and probably one of the last times I operated a VCR "Video Cassette Recorder" in case you forgot. Don't get me started on the good ole' days cause I can take you back.

    ReplyDelete